My good friend Katie is coming by the school next Friday and has a few offerings to share with us:
Knife Skills (60 minutes)
- What do different knives do and which are most essential in a well-stocked kitchen?
- Covering the most basic and versatile cuts: high cut, low cut, pull cut and horizontal cut
- Whats the difference between julienne, dice, plateaus, and more?
- How to prepare: onion, garlic, avocado, bell pepper, jalapeño, fresh herbs, butternut squash and pineapple.
- Basic knife safety/how to not cut off your fingers.
- Students take turns with basic knife cuts.
Canning & Quick Pickling (60 minutes)
- Why we can, pickle, and preserve.
- The difference between pickling and canning.
- Quick pickling: how to make tasty homemade pickled (anything) in 24 hours!
- Canning! The basics.
- Students make own jar of quick pickles & take home a jar of canned food
Photoshop: Working With Layers, Masks & Filters (90 minutes)
- What are layers? Why does Photoshop love them so much?
- What are masks? How are they different than layers? How do they work?
- What are filters? What’s the difference between layer filters and Camera Raw?
- Examples include retouching, swapping faces and photo collages.
- Students take turns creating their own artwork with layers, masks & filters