Our school schedule is Tuesday through Friday from 10am to 5pm. The majority of time is set aside for play, be it going to the park, learning to code, making 3D prints, drawing, watching YouTube, or just generally playing.
One of the few requirement of students is to participate in our morning and end of day meetings. Below is the general structure of those meetings:
- Check-in: let the group know how you are feeling so they know how to interact with you today.
- Personal Kanban: we take a few minutes to write down personal intentions for the day. This can be done individually or in small groups.
- Transition Game: something to change the energy level and get everyone standing up!
- Set the Day Scrum: Coordinate with other people you want to play with, set times for activities, etc.
- Set the Day: Set individual and group activities for the day.
- Share Individual Intentions: while we set the day also share our intentions.
- Reflections: We talk about successes and failures in achieving our intentions.
- Blog Question: Decide what we are going to blog about today, we come up with a question and a list that aid in our reflection process.
- Write Blog Post: We write on our blogs till 5pm, and finish later if need be.
- Clean Up!
- Closing Circle: For the very end of the day we choose a person at random to light a candle and ask a reflective question, like “what are you grateful for” This closes our day.
Start of Week
- Review Possible Stickies: We look through the offerings that are on our group kanban
- Add/Remove offerings: After reviewing current sticky notes we then remove stale ones and add new ideas or offerings.
- Set the Week: Once we have an idea of what can be done we set the week.
- Continue on to normal set the day…